Friday, October 9, 2015

Markets and Rugby

This past Saturday my flatmate James took me around to a couple of different markets in London. The first stop was our own West Hampstead Market. There's all kinds of fresh cheeses, meats, flowers, vegetables, baked pies, tarts, brownies... the list goes on. 


We got cheesy rolls to tide us over while we headed to the second market. They were lovely. Since they were a little more crispy than normal, the man threw in 2 extra free of charge. They reminded me a lot of the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster. mmmmmmm. 


Next we took the train to the Queen's Park Farmer's Market, which actually ended up not being there. (I think maybe it's only open on Sunday's?) Luckily we had the second cheesy roll to eat as we walked back. On the way we passed a stuffed panda that somebody bungee'd to a tree. PANDA WATCH.


We hopped the underground to Waterloo for the Southbank Centre food market. Our friend Henry met us there and the three of us tried a lot of samples and got fruit smoothies. I had one with apple, pear, and mint which was delicious.



As you can see from the above picture the market also sold a lot of sweets. SO MANY COOKIES. This particular stand also sold cronuts - we got chocolate and s'more - both had chocolate filling and were AMAZING.


I just love how large these pans are. It's like they're made for giants! After eating our weight in food, we walked around South Bank for a while, grabbed a few pints at a restaurant and then continued walking around central London. 

Foggy Londontown!
Walking across the Golden Jubilee Bridge.
When we crossed the Thames I noticed a lot of people wandering around in American football Jerseys. It was bizarre. As we came closer to Trafalgar Square, it was like I was back in the States. I forgot that the NFL has international games. They were throwing a large fan rally for the Jets v Dolphins game the following day. Who knew London had so many American football fans!? The most exciting part for me was probably seeing all the Bud Light cans. You can't find those anywhere here! Only bud heavy - gross. I didn't actually go in or drink any bud light *tear* but it was very entertaining to watch all the hype. 




As we walked further along, we passed a cigar shop and stopped in. James and I had the man who worked at the counter recommend a different cigar for each of us. It was so fancy. 


It was a beautiful day and I had never actually been in the back garden before so it was fun to sit back there and smoke our cigars. 


After a little rest, James and I went to a party some friends of friends of his were throwing. It was an Oktoberfest party but the England v Australia Rugby world cup game was on so it also turned into a viewing party for that.


I had no idea what was going on. This was the first rugby game I've ever watched. People asked if I was rooting for the US to which I replied, "We're in the world cup?" Seriously, I didn't even know they had a rugby world cup. (I do however know they have a Quidditch World Cup) After the game was over (it did not end well for England) they moved the furniture around for a dance floor and had foosball and beer pong. It was hilarious to watch them play beer pong with really bizarre slash wrong rules. There were no water cups, they played with one ball, and there were no bouncing rules. One guy I talked to told me nobody ever really knows the rules, they just go off what they've seen in movies and on TV. ha. After a while I got everyone to play flip cup which was much more fun. It did make me miss my bocce team though. All in all, it was a very full and very fun Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Sounds like an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you miss Bud Light oh Kimmy why. I had zero idea the NFL had international games, that makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete